Musings gleaned from various sources - almost everyday - that give me a boost and keep me going.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

More On Immigration

The immigration debate continues in Congress, in the media, in cities across the country, and among citizens. I recently came upon a piece written by a priest for St. Patrick's Day. Here is part of what he said:

"I can remember the excitement of my parents the night that John Fitzgerald Kennedy was elected president of the United States in 1960. I was a ten-year-old who really didn't understand the cause of their delight. They were so happy because he was a Catholic, and both of them could remember the terrible bigotry that Al Smith, a Catholic, faced in the presidential elections of 1928. Equally important, if not even more significant, was the fact that the handsome Senator from Massachusetts was of Irish descent. Both my parents were born in Ireland and had immigrated to America as young adults."

"The story of America, be you Irish, Italian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Vietnamese, or any other nationality, is one of immigration. Almost all of us can trace our heritages to other lands. Many who landed here were escaping poverty, persecution, and only hoped to provide a better life for their families. We are a nation of immigrants."

"I often walk a path where I live in Brooklyn. It is called Shore Road and is right at the Narrows where ships come into New York and first glimpse the Statue of Liberty. Someone has scrawled graffiti on the ground that reads 'Stop all immigration now.' Those are some of the saddest words I have ever read. It is at the very place where my parents and millions of others sailed into New York and saw Lady Liberty in the Harbor. Today, I am proud to be Irish...and I am especially proud to know that I am the son of immigrants."

I can readily resonate with this reflection. Although I am 4th generation in this country, my entire family (both my Mom's and my Dad's sides) came over from Germany in the mid-1800s. My brother is adopted and is French-Canadian. The Irish, the Polish, Jewish people, and all kinds of other folks have experienced terrible discrimination against them here in "the land of the free." Now Hispanics are facing similar a plight.

Liguori Publications, where I work, is trying hard to respond to the needs of our sisters and brothers from south of the border who come here seeking what they cannot find at home. We have a whole line of products in Spanish to aid those who need our help. The traditions of these people are deeply rooted in their culture. They bring a cohesive sense of "family" that is sadly being lost among many Anglo-Americans.

Just as the Greeks, the Italians, the Africans, the French, and so many others have brought a wonderful richness into our lives as Americans, so will our Latino neighbors add a lot to what makes America the colorful and prosperous land that it is. We should welcome them with open arms.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Yes, I loved Assisi, despite suffering from a bad dose of sinus since then! Am coming right now but sure was wishing for some home comforts!

5:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home