Musings gleaned from various sources - almost everyday - that give me a boost and keep me going.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving Thanks III

This has been an exceptional year. The greatest natural disaster our country has ever seen blew through the southern Gulf states near the end of summer. Three months later the cities and the people there have not recovered yet. Hundreds of thousands have been permanently displaced because their homes and jobs were destroyed. Surely cities like New Orleans, Biloxi, and Gulfport will never be the same.

Where I live and where I will spend Thanksgiving day we were not directly affected. For that we can be grateful.

Yet there are so many people from the southern U.S., from Pakistan where they recently endured a tremendous earthquake, from the south Pacific islands swept by a huge tsunami wave last December, and those who have survived the war in Iraq - both Iraqi citizens and American soldiers and their allies - all of whom must be thankful just to be alive at this time. Each one of them is our brother or sister.

I give thanks this holiday for those people in hard-hit areas who are fortunate enough to still be with us.

O Lord, the meal is steaming before us and it smells good!
The water is clear and fresh.
We are happy and satisfied.
But now we must think of our brothers and sisters all over the world
who have nothing to eat
and only a little to drink.
Please, please give all of them
your food and your drink.
That is the most important thing!
But also give them
what they need every day,
to go through this life.
Now, and in all times,
give food and drink
to our hungry brothers and sisters.
Amen. - a prayer from Ghana

from "Hallelujah for the Day" An African Prayer Book, edited by Anthony J. Gittins, C.SS.P., Liguori Publications, 2002.

I also give thanks for the opportunities I've had this past year to help care for my ailing father because it has drawn me closer to him.

If you visit and read this blog, I invite you to leave a comment indicating where you live and what you are thankful for this holiday season. And I give thanks for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home